I only recently started experimenting more with vegan cupcakes and the results are so far full of flavor and tasty. Up until now I did not have a cupcake tray so my experiments were often failures and let me tell you this – a cupcake tray will really help you step up your cupcake game! However, if you don’t have a cupcake tray, you can still give this a go. All you have to do is pour less batter and try to line them up in a dish tightly close to one another so that they do not overflow.
There are a lot of vegan cupcake recipes that are too complex, require too many ingredients or too much of your time. I consider this recipe to be the base vegan cupcake recipe as the cupcakes come out tasty and sweet without any additional flavor. What that means is that you can decide for yourself on any additional flavors you want to add.
Here are a few examples on how you can make the base recipe more interesting:
- Add chocolate chips to the batter
- Add nuts
- Add orange/lemon zest
- Add vanilla flavor
- Add frosting to the top
You can easily improve these cupcakes by adding something you love to them but they taste amazing on their own as well.
If you are a big chocolate fan – you can try this easy chocolate pie crust cake instead.
These easy vegan cupcakes are very mild in taste – not too sweet nor too bland and will go well with almost any topping you choose. I tried them out in a very simple way the first time I made them – by only adding some raspberry sprinkles on top.
Easy vegan cupcakes
- 1 ⅓ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar of choice I used regular white
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup plant milk of choice I used oat
- ¼ cup oil of choice I used rapeseed
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- other flavor of choice chocolate chips, vanilla, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 392°F (200°C)
- Mix all dry ingredients to a bowl (Flour, salt, baking powder, sugar).
- Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl (Water, oil, milk, vinegar).
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry by mixing continuously.
- Pour the batter into a cup or jug which has a nozzle to allow for easy pouring into the cupcake forms.
- Pour the dough into the cupcake forms lined up in a cupcake tray and leave a bit of space for them to raise – fill them about ¾ full.
- Bake for around 20-25 minutes.
- If you are not sure if they are done, you can always insert a toothpick to the middle and check. If the toothpick comes out clean – they are done.
- Enjoy the freshly baked cupcakes!
- Cover them in a dish with a lid after they cool off and they will be good for 3 days.
- If put in the fridge they can be good for up to a week.
- These times are for the base recipe only – may vary depending on what you add to the cupcakes.
Q&A for easy vegan cupcakes
- My vegan cupcakes came out dry – why?
Your oven may be too hot – you can try with 180 degrees Celsius instead. It is also possible that you have baked the cupcakes for too long. Lastly, it can happen if you did not add enough moisture. Try adding a bit more oil to the batter.
- What frosting can I use?
You can try simply using vegan whipped cream or a simple sugar frosting such as the one described here.