It’s that time of the year – the most wonderful time of the year. The time of bright lights, decorations, smell of cinnamon, hot cocoa and all the cookies you can eat. I would like to show you here the easiest vegan Christmas cookies that anyone can make no matter how tight their budget this Christmas is. Surprise your loved ones with a simple treat!
History of Christmas Cookies 🎅
Christmas cookies have had a long history! The earliest examples of Christmas cookies in the United States were brought by the Dutch in the early 17th century. Due to a wide range of cheap imported products from Germany between 1871 and 1906 following a change to importation laws, cookie cutters became available in American markets.
There are so many different types of Christmas cookies around the world. For example, Gingerbread cookies, Kerstkransjes (from the Netherlands) which are round with a hole in the middle and almonds as decoration and Krumkake (Norway) which means bent or twisted cake because they are wrapped in the shape of a cone.
Want to know more? Check out the medieval history of Christmas Cookies here.
The Easiest Vegan Christmas Cookies🎅
These cookies are really the easiest, most simple and cheapest cookies you can think of. Apart from decorating them as you wish, you only need a total of 4 ingredients (plus water).
- 1 cup of sugar
- 50 ml water
- 400 g flour (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup oil of choice (coconut is really nice)
How to make the cookies:
- Warm up the water and dissolve the sugar in it.
- Mix the baking soda into the flour.
- Add the sugar water and the oil into the flour and mix to form a dough.
- Preheat your oven to 180 C (356 F).
- Roll the dough into 1/2 cm (0.2 inch) thick crust and cut out whatever shapes you like.
- Put the shaped cookies onto baking paper and bake until they look done.
- You can drizzle them with anything you like, chocolate/sprinkles, whatever you heart desires.
Enjoy the vegan Christmas cookies and share with your friends and family! 🎅
Looking for more dessert recipes?
Easy vegan baklava with 5 ingredients! Budget friendly and perfect for people who need a sugar kick.
Another recipe for vegan Christmas cookies? Enjoy an easy and budget-friendly vegan Christmas cookies with cinnamon and vanilla.
Enjoy some sweet pumpkin slices this Halloween. The simplest Halloween treat for everyone!