If anyone else has seen the cartoon Ratatouille with that cute mouse that is a fantastic chef, then you probably happened to have cravings for Ratatouille at some point in your life due to how amazing it actually looks in the cartoon. Ratatouille is actually a French Provençal stewed vegetable dish, originating in Nice so if you are looking to learn a bit about some French cuisine then this might be a perfect experiment for the vegans who want to learn something new but are not too skilled in cooking just yet.
I remember seeing the cartoon and wondering what that dish is, then asking my mom to cook me one and her being like “No way, this is such a boring meal.” Well, mom, sorry to say this, but you were wrong. Ratatouille is an awesome vegan meal that does not have to taste boring. It is also incredibly simple to make and a perfect dish for when you want to catch up on your veggies a bit.
- 500 g tomatoes
- 500 g onion (4-5 medium onions)
- 500 g zucchini (around 1 big zucchini)
- 500 g eggplant (around 1 big eggplant)
- 4 to 5 red peppers
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
How to cook Ratatouille
- Cut the eggplant into circles and drizzle with salt. Let is stay for about 20 minutes to drain.
- Wash all the veggies and cut into circles.
- Wash the eggplant after it drained.
- Drizzle all veggies with the spices – or add your own spices.
- Put a bit of oil on your baking dish and then order the vegetables in a spiral starting from the outside towards the inside of the dish. You can do this order: zucchini, onion, tomato, eggplant, pepper.
- At the end drizzle again with thyme and a bit of olive oil.
- Bake for around 40 minutes at 200°C (390 °F).
- Serve warm and enjoy!
It is one of the most simple and savory accidentally vegan dishes that are good for the soul!
More easy vegan recipes:
Vegan one pot pasta is a perfect weekday meal as apart from all the cutting and chopping, there is only one pot to wash and very little to do. Enjoy this savory dish that you can make in under 30 minutes.
Easy vegan baklava with 5 ingredients! Budget friendly and perfect for people who need a sugar kick.
Vegan lentil soup is considered by many the ultimate comfort food. It’s rich in flavor, full of warm spices, and contains a healthy dose of fiber. This hearty vegan soup is hearty enough to satisfy even the hungriest of diners. If you want a hearty soup to whip up in no time, this is the one for you.