Cream and potatoes!! That is probably one of the combinations I missed the most when I started eating plant-based. To begin with, I live in Denmark and here cream with potatoes is basically worshipped (at least from my perspective). Everywhere I ate out, I could see those creamy potatoes taunting me and screaming to be eaten.
It wasn’t until a few days ago that I realized that cream potatoes are completely doable in a vegan version, incredibly easy and completely satisfying.
Here is a simple recipe for you!
Ingredients for Vegan Cream Potatoes
- 1,2 kg (2,6 pounds) potatoes
- 700ml vegan cream (or coconut milk, full-fat)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (optional, but gives a kick)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- a pinch of black pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed
How to cook the vegan cream potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and cut them up in thin slices.
- Heat up your oven to 200°C (390°F).
- Put them in your deep ovenproof dish of choice.
- In a bowl, mix all other ingredients and then pour over the potatoes, spreading them evenly.
- Put the dish in the oven (somewhere in the middle) and let them bake.
- Stir around 3 times the potatoes as they bake (maybe each 10-15 minutes), they should be ready in about 50 minutes.
- Eat them together with Vegan Meatloaf or some Veggie Quinoa Balls, whatever else you want or enjoy them alone as they are!
- Make sure to stir the potatoes or some of them will not be cooked well and will crunch!
- Add whatever spices you personally enjoy with potatoes to your cream mix.
- Works well without garlic too but garlic makes it better.
- Garlic can be replaced with garlic powder.
- These are not my pictures – I forgot to take pictures myself. Will be replaced as soon as I make the potatoes again haha!