When I started eating a plant-based diet, I could only dream of a full on vegan weekly plan that would actually be simple and straightforward. My dream with this plan is to allow everyone out there enjoy the benefits of a vegan diet for a week. The idea here is to introduce you to a vegan diet by offering you a simple meal plan that anybody could stick to.
The Easy Vegan Meal Plan
- Will not include meat substitutes such as Beyond Meat products or things like “chick pieces”
- It is tailored for one person, however, it is possible to make for 2 if you take into consideration the leftover meals and replace them with other examples which you can find at the bottom of the page.
- Will be as natural as possible.
- May not taste WOW but will taste pretty good.
- Won’t make you fly or give you superpowers but may restore some of your energy.
- Will be a fun experiment for anyone curious about being vegan or for those vegans looking into bringing a bit of balance to their diets.
- Read all the recipes before you do this and make sure you have enough time to do it and feel comfortable cooking these meals.
- Read all instructions on the recipes carefully and take time to prepare well.
Why try a week of vegan?
This plan isn’t just for people who are not vegan yet, it is for lazy (or busy) vegans too who want to minimize the need to figure out what to cook for a week and have more time for other things.
As a non vegan, trying out a week of plant-based food could be an interesting experiment for you and your family. This weekly meal plan is useful who those who are skeptical about a vegan diet, worry that it will cost them too much or believe it is bad for them but want to experiment anyway.
The truth is that many people who report eating vegan for a week, notice higher energy levels, lowered stress, cleaner skin, losing weight, and a lot more benefits that you can experience yourself if you try this out. Of course, every body is different, so if you don’t feel alright, you should consult with your doctor. Otherwise this diet should be perfectly safe for a week of eating plant-based no matter what you are used to so far.
Let’s be honest – sticking to plans isn’t easy for most of us. The most important preparation you have to do before you start is to promise yourself to stick to the plan. You need to have a good reason to try this out so:
- Take a piece of paper and write down your reason for eating a week’s worth of vegan food.
- Any time you feel yourself slipping, take out that paper and look at it and be reminded of your reason.
- Make sure you don’t do this on weeks where you have stressful events such as an exam or an important meeting.
- You don’t need to explain to anyone in your life why you are doing this – do this for yourself only.
- Be prepared to feel snacky, because you will be (stock up on fruits you like!)
Easy Vegan Weekly Meal Plan – Week 1
Without more chit-chat let me introduce to you an example of a budget vegan meal plan – Week 1.
Note: Make sure to prepare as much as you can on Sunday. Prepare the Vegan Buns on Sunday to make sure you aren’t rushing yourself on Monday. Try to do the shopping 2 days at a time. Shop on Sunday for both Monday and Tuesday meals, then schedule your next shopping for Tuesday evening to avoid spoiling food. You can also try shopping for more days at a time but be careful with how you store your food.
Vegan Olive Buns with vegan butter, hummus and tomato slices. (you can use whatever vegan spreads or dips you have on hand or see at the store)
* Prepare the buns on Sunday and freeze the rest of the buns for future days (except those for Monday). They just need to be warmed up for 6-8 minutes in the oven and taste as good as new. You should have around 10 buns.
Kale Quinoa Salad
*You can use any kind of Kale to make this, plus omit the finely chopped shallot to save up and use regular salt
*Preserve any leftover ingredients as you will eat this salad again on Thursday.
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup – enjoy with leftover olive buns. (omit chives for garnish to save up).
If you get snacky: Enjoy some carrots with leftover hummus from the morning. Eat all the fruit you feel like eating – bananas and dates are perfect for helping with sugary cravings.
Leftover Creamy Potato Soup enjoyed with leftover buns.
If you get snacky: Enjoy some popcorn! How to make here.
Banana and spinach smoothie
Leftover Curry with Eggplant and Chickpeas – just cook new rice.
Easy Vegan Meatloaf with boiled potatoes potatoes on the side (and a dip of choice, I use barbecue sauce). *Save up by omitting nutritional yeast – works fine.
Optional Dessert: 3-Ingredient Cookies
Leftover meatloaf with a Kale Quinoa salad on the side and a Vegan Olive Bun (if you have any left)
Easy Vegan Burritos (keep the extra in the fridge) *Use any extra vegetable leftovers you have, any opened cans, etc., sauce leftovers from previous day, f.x. barbecue sauce). This is your chance to use up any food that is about to expire.
Optional dessert: Vegan Banana Bread
Leftover Burritos (you should have quite a few left)
Optional dessert: Easy Vegan Lemon Cake
Vegan Pancakes with Maple Syrup (omit vanilla extract to save up)
Leftover Lasagna if any or One pot Lentil Chili.
Go out to eat something in a vegan restaurant! Seriously, to experience a vegan diet, it would be a great idea to go out and eat and see how amazing vegan food can taste once you get the hang of it all.
If you don’t want to eat out try the Vegan Shepherd’s Pie instead.
Leftover Shepherd’s Pie or if you went out, cook Shepherd’s Pie.
Optional dessert: Coconut Snowballs. (use oat flour instead of almond to save up).
- If at any time you don’t have leftovers when the idea is to eat leftovers for lunch, try Rice with Any Vegetable or any other Simple Recipe from here.
- The meal plan is simple if you have time to cook. If you try out the plan but find out it is overwhelming to do all of it, you should tailor it to your own needs and use take-out if necessary. I suggest avoiding fast food but you do what you gotta do.
- Have freedom, play around with recipes and remember that all of this must feel good so if it does not, don’t do it!
- Enjoy and I hope it turns out to be an awesome week!