Easy, budget-friendly and tasty vegan banana bread
Truth be told, I had never made banana bread before. I am not that big of a fan of cookies with banana so I thought that the bread would not much different. Oh, how wrong was I! Banana bread is probably now one of my most favorite savory, comfort, sweet foods to make. It is perfect for a dessert, topped possibly with some homemade vegan Nutella or eaten as it is.
This banana bread is quite cheap as it is made with regular flour and you can just use the old super ripe bananas you forgot about along with even regular sugar (if you dare). I don’t know about you but I usually buy a lot of bananas and forget them in the cupboard. By the time I realize they’re there, they get so ripe that the only thing they’re good for is baked vegan goods.
Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (works with white too)
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 cup plant milk (I used rice milk)
- 1/3 cup oil of choice (I used coconut)
- vanilla extract, any kind of nuts, chocolate chip (optional) for extra taste
Flax egg: Mix 1 tablespoon of flax meal (ground flax seeds) with 3 tablespoons of water. Stir around. Put it in the fridge and wait for around 15 minutes – then you have a ready flax egg.
- For best result prepare the flax egg the same day and not before.
How to make the vegan banana bread:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Mash the bananas in a bowl.
- In another bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, soda, salt, extract).
- Mix the dry ingredients well.
- Add them to the banana or add the banana to the dry ingredients.
- Add all other ingredients left into the bowl (flax egg, plant milk, oil) and mix together well.
- Line baking paper in a loaf pan – around 9×5-inch but some other varieties should work just fine.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the pan, on top of the baking paper.
- Bake for around 1 hour (or a bit more). Use the toothpick trick to determine if the bread is ready.
- Wait around 10 minutes before removing from the pan when you take it out. Then enjoy!
- The banana bread is good to eat for a minimum of 4 days (if you cover it well). Wouldn’t eat it after 5 personally but it may last a whole 7 days.
- Can be stored in the fridge.
Health benefits of bananas
- Great source of vitamin C.
- Bananas have manganese which is good for your skin.
- They have potassium which is also good for your heart health and blood pressure (as well as happiness, I’ve heard).
- They can help you with digestion.
- Bananas are quite filling, yet do not have much fat or cholesterol.
- One to two bananas per day is considered a regular intake for most healthy people – but beware not to eat too many of them.
Can bananas make you fat?
If I were worried about being fat, it really isn’t bananas that I would exclude from my diet. Perhaps banana bread might not be the best option but eating a moderate amount of bananas on their own shouldn’t be a problem.
Looking for something else that’s sweet? Try easy vegan 3-ingredient cookies that you can make in no time!