Homemade Vegan Milk – under 1$ per bottle!
There was a period in which I avoided vegan milk altogether because it was so expensive here in Copenhagen (3$ for 1). I guess, if I used all of it, it would be alright, but I often found myself being unable to use up all of it when I was living alone and ended up having to throw it out.
You can make a wide variety of plant milks at home but if you are looking to save up, oat milk might be the most budget friendly alternative out there. It is oats and water, blended together and strained! It really is that simple and it gets better. You can make different variations based on your taste!!
If you have a Nutribullet or another high speed blender
Homemade Vegan Oat Milk
- 1 Nutribullet or another high speed blender
- 2/3 cup oats
- 2 cups water
- 4 dates
- anything else you like to add for taste or nutrition
- Mix the water, oats, dates and anything else you like
- Blend for 5-9 seconds! Not more, be careful, if you blend too much it will become sluggish.
- Strain with strainer or an old thin woman sock (unused!)
How to make homemade vegan oat milk
This process is so simple that I really wish I knew it earlier – can only imagine how much I would have saved up!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 cups water (I use sometimes 5 to avoid it becoming thick)
- a pinch of salt
- optional sweetener of choice (I’ve tried sugar and agave syrup, both work fine
For different varieties of oat milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder (chocolate milk) – you can add 1 tablespoon of sugar to make it sweeter or any kind of syrup you like.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract for vanilla milk (optional sweetener again)
- any kind of fruit for fruit milk
- any other flavor you want to try.
How to make plant oat milk:
- Add all ingredients you want to use for your milk to a blender.
- Blend on high speed for around 5-10 seconds. * I have seen people recommending blending it for 30 seconds to one minute but I find that if you have a high speed blender, 30 seconds will make your milk slimy!
- Strain your milk through an old t-shirt, unused thin sock (my favorite), some cloth that can strain, strainer or anything else you can use to strain it with. *Double strain for best result.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 4-6 days.
What can I use this vegan oat milk for?
You can use it for your oatmeal, cereal, coffee or anything else that you enjoy cold. I don’t recommend heating it, as it might become very slimy and gooey. This milk is to be enjoyed cold.
Whole oats are believed to protect against heart disease as they are the only food source of avenanthramides which is a unique group of antioxidants.
Benefits of eating oats:
- lower blood sugar
- reduced risk of heart disease
- nutritious – a good source of fiber and carbs.
- may improve insulin sensitivity
- oats are good for skin, have been used to treat various skin conditions
- may decrease the risk of childhood asthma
- may help relieve constipation
- Manganese: 191% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 41% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 34% of the RDI
- Copper: 24% of the RDI
- Iron: 20% of the RDI
- Zinc: 20% of the RDI
- Folate: 11% of the RDI
- Vitamin B1 (thiamin): 39% of the RDI
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): 10% of the RDI
Are oats gluten free?
Yes, oats are usually gluten free. However, it is possible for oats to be contaminated as they are often produced in factories that also make wheat, barley, etc. If you want to make sure they are 100% gluten-free, you should check the section at the supermarket that sells gluten-free products, rather than the regular baking section where you can usually find oats.
Are oats healthy?
I think that based on the information above, I would definitely characterize oats as being very healthy and filling. Especially if you are vegan, it is a quick way to fill up your stomach in the morning, get a decent amount of protein and avoid being hungry too soon.
Can I eat oatmeal every day?
There is generally nothing wrong with eating oats every day. Oats contain a lot of fiber, which will be good for your digestive health. I have never heard of any downsides to eating oats every morning for breakfast or as a snack. You can maybe even enjoy some oats for dinner, why not?
Can oats make me gain weight?
Yes – as with any other food, even oats can make you gain weight. However, that is highly unlikely if you eat in moderate portions and avoid the following things. Do not add sugar to your oatmeal, avoid packaged oatmeal with additives, cream toppings and syrups should be avoided as well. The best way to eat oatmeal without gaining weight is to eat it with fruits and nuts.
How much protein do oats have?
For each cup of oatmeal (cooked), you eat 6g of protein. If uncooked, a cup of raw oats gives you 12g of protein.
How much calories do oats have?
Quite a lot – which makes them a very filling and healthy breakfast option. 100 grams of raw oats will give you 389 calories! That’s enough to start your morning on the right foot.