One of the most difficult parts of trying to eat plant based when I first changed my diet was trying to find easy vegan snacks that won’t cost me a fortune.
Snacks were the reason I was just on a plant based diet for a long time before actually becoming fully vegan – I had a hard time saying goodbye to all the premade cheap muffins at the store, which contained a little bit of milk. Thinking back at it now I do not see what I liked about them considering all the amazing easy vegan snacks and desserts available but I guess you live and you learn. I would like to share here some of my favorite accidentally vegan snacks which many of you may already be enjoying.
Today I will introduce just a few of the hundreds of easy vegan snacks that I now have on my list that are budget friendly and perfect when you are trying to save up but need something inbetween your lunch and dinner. Starting with:
Hummus and carrots
Most of you may be aware of this delicious snack but writing this for beginners, I know there might be people out there who have not yet tried this easy goodness. On many occasions hummus with carrots has even been my dinner. It is quite filling and provides a lot of good nutrition.
All you need:
- anything else you wanna dip into hummus
Toast with beans
Also known as a popular breakfast I discovered this one quite recently. I had a time period where I was eating cereal for breakfast every morning but do you know the feeling when some mornings you just really need something salty and not sweet? I had a few of those mornings where I left for work feeling hungry, which at the end resulted in me discovering the beauty of vegan toast with beans.
All you need:
- toast bread
- possibly vegan butter but optional
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
A classic snack/full meal (depending on size) beloved by almost everyone. This one is quite obvious but I put it here as a reminder, also to myself, that it exists. I keep forgetting about peanut butter and then when I remember it exists my whole life seems to change. Suddenly, I eat 2 tablespoons and I am close to hitting my protein intake goals for the day.
All you need:
- any kind of jelly
- peanut butter
This is one of my favorite snacks that I used to eat before I even knew what veganism was. Interestingly, it’s actually quite the popular snack in Bulgaria. In the picture below you can see the package we usually buy it in, it’s quite a popular snack to eat when you have a break at school since you can carry it around in your bag. Not sure if it so popular anymore but it was when I was a kid.
Of course, if you can’t find it packaged, you can make it yourself. It’s simple and takes almost no effort.
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt
- Paprika, curry powder, onion powder or other spices (optional)
Yes!!! Popcorn!! One of the best snacks on Earth, the snack that was chosen to accompany every movie, from all the snacks, popcorn was the chosen one! Can you imagine how much that means? It won over Doritos and all kinds of chips!
That may be partially because of how incredibly budget friendly popcorn is. With a little bit of nutritional yeast, you can actually make some of the best popcorn you’ve ever tasted.
Now, you can make your regular microwave popcorn or you can also do it the old-fashioned way for a healthier vegan version.
What you need:
- corn kernels
- a big pot
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice (olive, sunflower,etc.)
- some nutritional yeast (optional)
How to make vegan popcorn in a pot:
- Heat up in a large pot (on medium high, not too high heat) some oil along with 2 kernels, yes only 2.
- Cover the pot and wait for the kernels to pop.
- After they pop remove the pot from the heat for a second and pour in the remaining popcorn kernels. Cover the pot again, and give the pot a little shake to distribute the kernels evenly.
- Turn the heat on medium and once you can hear the popcorn starting to pop open the lid slightly to allow some steam to exit.
- Once you feel all the kernels have popped you are done!
- Sprinkle with some salt and nutritional yeast and enjoy!