This is a great recipe for whenever you need an easy, quick and filling side dish to your meal. Potatoes are something I always try to have at home as it is one of the quickest things to cook and get full with. They go great with vegan mayo or you can enjoy them just as they are.
Ingredients for vegan potato balls:
- As many potatoes as you want (I put around 1 – 1.5 kg)
- black ground pepper
- ground cumin
- green onion
- oil of choice
How to make easy vegan potato balls:
- Boil the potatoes in 2-3 tablespoons of salt (I like mine salty so I put a lot)
- Heat up oven to 250 C or 482 F.
- Mash the potatoes and add the cumin, onion and parsley into it and mix (taste and add more salt if needed)
- Put a bit of breadcrumbs (2-3 tablespoons) in the potato mixture itself and mix it up.
- Shape into balls (whatever shape you like) and roll the balls into more breadcrumbs.
- Put a drop of oil on top of every ball and then bake until they become golden.
- Baking them may take around 10 minutes, depending on how golden you want them.
- They go nicely with any kind of dip you have (I like mine with vegan aioli from Lidl).
- I don’t like mine the day after personally, but they should still be good for a few days if you keep them in the fridge. If you did not keep yours in the fridge, I seriously advise considering not eating them, even though food waste sucks, reheating potatoes that have stayed out of the fridge can be dangerous.
- For gluten free: Instead of breadcrumbs you can use almond meal or almond flour: as a binder/thickener or coating. You can probably also use 1 flax egg, but I have personally never tried to make them in that way.
I guess it only makes sense to add a recipe for a vegan dip if I am introducing you to my favorite easy vegan potato balls. They do go well with almost everything but I would like to introduce you to a really simple vegan mayonnaise. Unfortunately, it has cashew in it and in my book anything that has cashew is not considered budget-friendly.
Vegan mayo (only blend)
This vegan mayo is so simple to make – all you have to do is put the ingredients in a blender and you are DONE!
- 200 g (or 1 cup) soaked cashews
- half a cup of water
- juice from half a lemon or 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- half a teaspoon salt
How to make vegan mayonnaise:
- Put all ingredients together in a blender and mix on high speed.
Note: taste to see if it needs more salt or lemon juice, add if needed and mix again.
Hope you remember this recipe the next time you need a side dish!