Bulgarian cuisine is full of accidentally vegan meals. Growing up I had no idea that I was eating that much vegan and vegetarian food. The food is always full of flavor and filling, usually accompanied by bread (which I love). It’s actually even kind of funny how Bulgarians (especially the older generation), often eat every single meal accompanied by bread. My father eats spaghetti bolognese with bread! 😀
Today I’d like to share one of the fastest and easiest vegan recipes that my non-vegan friends and family now also love. It is simple, cheap and big enough for the whole family.
Vegan Potatoes with Rice
Potatoes with rice (vegan)
- 5 large potatoes (around 1 kg/2.2 pounds)
- 1 and 1/2 cups rice
- 1 red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2-3 tbsp oil of choice I used olive oil
- 3/4 cup paprika Yes, cup!
- a little bit of black pepper, salt, basil, thyme, parsley (can be replaced with whatever spices you like)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 liter/33 oz boiling water
- In a large pot, heat up some oil and add the onion, pepper and carrot (or whatever veggies you got).
- Fry them for a minute or two, after which add the potatoes.
- Fry the potatoes for a minute or two as well, stirring.
- Add the tomato puree and the cup of paprika, stir around.
- Add 1 liter of boiling water (or enough to cover everything).
- Heat up your oven to 200 C or 392 F.
- Let it boil for around 10 minutes, after which you add the rice, salt and spices.
- Move the mixture into a big casserole dish and put in the oven.
- While it is baking, you need to stir it from time to time and taste when the rice is ready.
- When the rice is ready, take it out and you are done!
So simple and tasty!!
Vegan Potatoes with rice?
Some of you may be thinking that the combination sounds totally off and it might be so. I personally am pretty open minded into combining things I did not believe would work together before. I’ve found that sometimes the most unexpected combinations end up being the most pleasant ones.
Note: Once rice is cooked, store it in the refrigerator and use it within three to four days.
Did you know this about potatoes?
- they are an awesome source of Vitamin C – A medium 5.3 oz skin on potato has 27 mg of vitamin C per serving, which is 30% of the daily value.
- Have more potassium than bananas! 620 mg of potassium per serving, which is 15% of the daily value.
- They are fat-, cholesterol-, and sodium-free!
- A regular-size 5.3 oz potato with skin-on gives you a whole of 3 grams of plant-based protein.
I think together rice and potato can make quite the awesome combination. Try it out!
Find more easy vegan recipes here.